While flight proficiency isn’t required by the FAA, we hold our students to a higher standard. We offer a Drone Pilot Ground School diploma to students who pass our flight proficiency challenge.
As a Drone Pilot Ground School certified student, you can use your diploma in your LinkedIn profile, on your website, or you can show it to an insurance broker or potential employer to demonstrate your professionalism and commitment to safety and education.
Complete these two requirements to get your Drone Pilot Ground School Course Diploma:
- Score 80% or higher on at least 1 practice test. Practice tests are found in the lecture titled “5 Practice Tests.” While the FAA’s Aeronautical Knowledge Test requires you to score 70% in order to pass, we want you to be over-prepared.
- Pass our flight proficiency challenge.
Here’s the challenge:
- Take off and hover for approximately fifteen seconds.
- At approximately eye level, complete a T-shaped maneuver. Imagine there’s a big T drawn on the ground and you are standing at the base of it.
- Fly forward 5-10 feet.
- Turn right 90 degrees and fly 5 feet (the UAV traces the top right of the T from left to right).
- Turn 180 degrees and fly forward 10 feet (the UAV traces the top of the T from right to left).
- Turn 180 degrees and fly 5 feet (the UAV traces the top left of the T from left to right, back to the middle).
- Turn 90 degrees and fly “nose in” back to the take-off point.
- Hover the multirotor “nose in” for fifteen seconds.
- Land on the take-off point. (The landing may be “tail in.”)
- Power down safely.
Here are the details:
- The below flight proficiency challenge must be completed in “Atti” mode (or equivalent non-GPS assisted mode). If you’re flying a DJI Mavic, there’s no way to manually turn off GPS, so you’ll either have to fly inside where there’s no GPS signal, or you can use a bit of tin foil and scotch tape.
- The challenge must be completed in one flight.
- The challenge must be completed in two minutes or less.
- Markers may be used. Speed should be slow walking pace.
- The challenge needs to be captured on video. We don’t need professional quality video. Use your phone, webcam, or point-and-shoot camera. The video just needs to be clear enough for us to see that you’re completing the challenge.
- You can use a simulator to complete the challenge if you’d like.
- Visual line-of-sight only, no FPV (first-person-view).
- Have fun! It might take a while. Don’t get discouraged.
When you’ve completed requirements 1 and 2, fill out the form on this page to submit it for approval.
After we confirm that you’ve satisfied both requirements, we will issue your diploma.
Your Course Certificate is Easily Shareable & Printable
Showcase your course certification to potential clients or employers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn with one click. You can also easily print a high quality PDF of your certificate, whenever you’d like. Hat tip to our digital certificate provider Accredible for making such a sleek promotional / verification tool for our students!